2nd Annual Junior Seau Foundation Youth Adaptive Surf Camp, Presented by Challenged Athletes Foundation
The Junior Seau Foundation Adaptive Surf Program presented by Challenged Athletes Foundation(CAF) will host the 2nd annual youth surf camp for physically disabled surfers from June 22-24, 2017 in Del Mar, CA
In its second year, the Junior Seau Foundation Adaptive Surf Program will provide services for children who want to learn to surf and enjoy the water, despite physical challenges. In addition, CAF will even send a team of adaptive surfers to compete in the 13th Annual Switchfoot BRO-AM at Moonlight Beach on Saturday, June 24th. There will also be a special heat at the event for the Junior Seau Foundation Adaptive Surf camp participants.
Throughout the surf camp, the participants will enjoy surfing Del Mar’s waves with expert coaching and mentorship from experienced adaptive surfers including:
- 3X Paralympic Gold Medalist and Female Adventurer
- First female American to win gold in both the Summer and Winter games
- Competes in wheelchair basketball, alpine skiing, kayaking and surfing
- 2016U.S. Champion in the adaptive division of the USA Surfing Championships
- Will represent the US for the 3rd year in a row at the ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championships
- Professional surfer and shark conservationist
- Silver medalist at 2016 ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championships
- Represented Team USA the past 2 years at ISA World Adaptive Surfing Championships
- Little People of America ambassador
In addition, Nichols, Burt, Coots and Gambrell will make history on Saturday as the first-ever team of adaptive elite surfers to compete on the same waves as the Switchfoot Bro-Am pros at Moonlight Beach, Encinitas in front of a crowd of more than 15,000 people.
Funds raised at the Switchfoot Bro-Am benefit a number of local charities that help deserving local youth, including CAF. As part of the day’s festivities, the adaptive surf camp participants will get to surf alongside surfing stars like Rob Machado and members of GRAMMYÂ® award-winning band Switchfoot during the Junior Seau Foundation Adaptive Surf Program presented by CAF Expression Session. The kids will be allotted a 30-minute period where they will be the spotlight of the event and enjoy catching waves in front of thousands of spectators.
CAF is proud to continue partnerships with Hurley and the City of Del Mar Lifeguards in the Junior Seau Foundation Adaptive Surf Program presented by CAF.