Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find commonly asked questions related to the Grant Application process.
If you have additional questions, please email [email protected].
Learn about the steps to completing a grant application at one of these live webinars. There will be a Q&A at the end to address unanswered questions.
Please register to attend ONE webinar.
WHEN DOES THE 2023 GRANT APPLICATION OPEN AND CLOSE?
The 2023 Annual Grant Application will open on Thursday, September 1st, 2022 and will close on Friday, November 4th, 2022 at 5PM PST. No late applications will be accepted.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Individuals worldwide with permanent physical disabilities are eligible to apply for the CAF grant. CAF uses the International Paralympic Committee classification standards as a guideline for our grant eligibility. An individual must have a permanent physical disability that can be classified within the IPC guidelines, and permanently impairs the mobility of the individual, affects the neuromuscular system, and/or impairs balance or motor control. Cognitive or developmental disabilities, chronic illnesses or pain syndromes, and strictly health related conditions do not meet CAF’s eligibility guidelines. Teams, organizations, etc. are also not eligible to apply.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION DO I NEED TO HAVE TO APPLY FOR A GRANT?
Applicants are required to upload multiple pieces of documentation to their profile and application in order for their grant request to be considered. Applicants will need:
- Medical verification of disability: Applicants will be required to upload into their profile a medical document that verifies their disability. This task must be completed before you can begin the grant application.
Returning applicants can use the same document uploaded in previous years. If you are a first-time applicant, the medical verification documentation can be any form that states your permanent physical disability and comes from a medical professional/source, or you can use the downloadable template provided in the profile have you have medical professional fill it out for you to upload.
- Two high-quality photos of the applicant, preferably playing their sport.
- Financial documentation to show proof of annual income. You need financial documentation because CAF awards grants based on greatest financial need. We require financial documentation to verify your financial need. Documents can include a W2, government assistance letter, bank account statements, etc. Please redact all sensitive personal information before you upload.
- A Letter of Recommendation from a mentor, coach, teammate, friend, etc.
I AM A FIRST-TIME APPLICANT. WHAT ARE MY FIRST STEPS?
First time applicants will click on the 2023 grant application link and will be prompted to answer several questions that will help us determine what grant program they should apply for. Applicants will answer these questions and then will be given a link to their application portal. Click on the link and follow instructions to create a new account. Once your account is created, you will log in and find yourself on the 2023 grant home page. Before beginning the application process, please make sure you check out the information above about eligibility and required documentation.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A GRANT?
There are two sections you must complete in order to submit an application:
- User Profile
- Grant Application
Steps you’ll take to fill out and submit a 2023 application:
- Click on the “Apply Now” button and answer questions that will help us determine which grant program you should apply for. After you answer the questions, you will be shown the correct link to apply( Make sure to save this link!). Click the link, and log into your grant portal. Once you have logged in, you’ll land on the 2023 Grants homepage. Read all information carefully and follow instructions to update your profile.
- Create or Update Profile*: All applicants must fill out their User Profile prior to filling out application.
- Returning users: You will be required to update your user profile as we have updated our disability categories. Please review, update, and add any information.
- New users: You cannot proceed until all required fields are completed. You will upload your Medical Documentation of Disability and provide disability information to be saved for all future applications.
*User profile information can be updated at any time.
- Fill out Grant Application: Once your profile is complete, you will proceed to the application. Click on the tile at the bottom of your homepage to enter the grant portal. Read all instructions carefully, open the application, and fill it out thoughtfully. You can save your application at any time and continue it at any time. Once you have finished you can MARK COMPLETE. You will need to SUBMIT to complete the application. After submission, you will receive a confirmation email.
HOW DO I KNOW MY 2023 GRANT APPLICATION WAS SUBMITTED?
Once successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive your confirmation email, your application was not submitted. In addition, your application will be locked after submission and cannot be edited.
WHAT CAN I APPLY FOR THIS YEAR?
CAF offers TWO grant categories. You may only choose one category to apply for. More details for each category are below.
- Sport Expense Grant – provides recipients with monetary funds to be used for sport-related expenses
- Equipment Grant – select one piece of equipment from our list of preferred vendors, or apply for funding for equipment not on our list
Step-by-Step Grant Application Instructions
Sport Expense Questions
WHAT IS A SPORT EXPENSE GRANT?
A Sport Expense Grant aims to cover any expenses associated with an athlete’s training, competitions, or equipment purchases and maintenance – max request $1,500. If awarded this grant, CAF will send you monetary funding that can be used for any of the following sports-related expenses:
- Minor/Small equipment purchases (expenses related to maintain, refurbish, or upgrade your adaptive equipment like handcycles, sport wheelchairs, bicycles, etc. or to purchase smaller equipment items that help you train or compete in sport.
*Sports Expense Grants for minor equipment items will NOT count toward your future eligibility for large adaptive equipment items such as sports wheelchairs, handcycles, etc.
- Coaching/Training Expenses (expenses related to specialized coaching, personal trainer, coach, gym fees, adaptive sports clinics, classes or lessons, etc.)
- Travel/Competition Expenses (expenses related to sport/athletic competitions, training camps, or clinics. These expenses may include entry fees and/or travel-related expenses to competitions for the athlete. If the athlete is under 18 or requires a guide, funds can be used towards expenses for one parent/guardian or guide. Travel related expenses can include transportation (fuel, rental car, flight, ride share, etc.), accommodations (hotel fees), and food.
WHAT CANNOT BE COVERED BY THIS GRANT?
The purpose of this grant is to remove the financial barriers that will prohibit the athlete from playing their sport. Examples of inappropriate use of these funds would include:
- Travel expenses for coaches or additional family members
- Fuel expenses for personal vehicle outside of competition travel
- Lodging expenses for any additional/extended travel outside of competition dates
- Expensive meals
- Tournament memorabilia
- Medical or rehab services, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture, massage, etc.
- Non-sport equipment
- Uniforms or articles of clothing
- Technology with a fitness component (FitBits, Apple Watches, etc.)
When in doubt, ask yourself if the expense is absolutely necessary to make the athlete’s athletic endeavors possible. The misuse of funds will result in the recipient being ineligible for future grants. If you have questions about use of funds, contact [email protected].
I AM APPLYING FOR FUNDING FOR A COMPETITION, BUT I AM UNSURE IF MY COMPETITION WILL TAKE PLACE. WHAT DO I DO?
Feel free to apply for what you think you will need, and if you end up not going to the competition you requested funds for, you can use awarded funds for a different Sport Expense as stated above.
IF AWARDED, CAN I USE FUNDS FOR COMPETITIONS, TRAINING, AND SMALL EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE?
Yes! This grant category gives you flexibility to use the funds for any or all the listed sports expenses. You could use awarded funds all for one competition, or you could use the funds for a competition and a training expense and an equipment expense.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN “SMALL/MINOR EQUIPMENT”?
Funds can be used for equipment maintenance, upgrades, or refurbishments for your existing adaptive equipment, or to purchase smaller equipment items that help you train or compete in your sport (home weights, training equipment, attachments, etc.)
IF AWARDED, CAN I USE FUNDS TO REIMBURSE MYSELF FOR PAST EXPENSES?
No. Grant funds must be spent within the grant cycle, which begins on the day of distribution in late March and ends on January 31, 2024.
WILL I HAVE TO UPLOAD RECEIPTS?
Yes. You will be required to upload your receipts in your grant portal to show how funds were spent.
Please submit receipts for the 2022 Grant Application HERE.
WHAT IS AN EQUIPMENT GRANT?
CAF is fortunate to work with some of the top equipment distributors in the world of adaptive sports. These preferred vendors offer CAF generous discounts for adaptive sports equipment. Individuals who apply for an equipment grant will select the equipment of their choosing from a drop-down list on the application. If awarded an equipment grant, CAF will provide you instructions on how to order your equipment through our vendor. The vendor will then bill CAF for the amount you were awarded. Applicant will not receive monetary funds.
WILL I HAVE ANY OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES?
If awarded, CAF will share with you the dollar amount you were awarded which often covers the entire amount of the equipment at CAF’s discounted rate. However, for some of the more expensive equipment, CAF will provide a partial grant for a portion of the equipment expense. The remaining cost of the equipment will be your responsibility to cover.
*Please note: equipment grant amounts will not typically exceed $3,500. If you select equipment that is more expensive, you will likely have an out-of-pocket expense. Please take this into consideration before applying.
Recipients are also responsible for covering shipping expenses (if applicable) and for any upgrades, modifications, or customizations.
WHAT IF THE EQUIPMENT I AM REQUESTING IS NOT ON THE LIST IN THE APPLICATION?
If the equipment you desire is not offered through one of our preferred vendors, you will have the opportunity to select Other/Equipment not on list. This selection will allow you to enter information about the equipment you are requesting. You will be required to upload a quote from the vendor/distributor that shows the price of the equipment. CAF will consider your request for a Funding Towards Equipment grant. If awarded, CAF will provide you monetary funds to purchase your equipment from the vendor of your choosing. You will be required to upload receipts.
*Please note: Funding Towards Equipment grant requests have a max request of $2,500. You will be responsible for covering the remaining expenses if the awarded amount doesn’t cover the entire equipment expense.
FOR EQUIPMENT ON YOUR PREFERRED LIST, DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH YOUR PREFERRED VENDOR, OR CAN I PURCHASE EQUIPMENT FROM ANOTHER DISTRIBUTOR WHO SELLS THE EQUIPMENT?
You MUST order equipment through our direct vendor for equipment listed on our 2023 list
CAF will ONLY pay our vendors for this equipment. You may not order equipment on this list through a vendor of your choosing, even if they sell the equipment you applied for or were awarded.
HOW OFTEN CAN I APPLY FOR AN EQUIPMENT GRANT?
You are eligible to apply for an equipment grant (includes Funding Towards Equipment) every three years if you are over 18, and every two years if you are under 18.
WHEN WILL I FIND OUT IF I WAS AWARDED A GRANT?
We email all applicants about the status of their grant. Annual grant applicants will receive notification of their status in March 2023. Össur, Operation Rebound, and CAF Idaho applicants typically will be notified within 6 weeks of submission.
Grant Portal (Zengine) Questions
I HAVE APPLIED FOR A GRANT BEFORE. DO I NEED TO SET UP A NEW ACCOUNT?
Once you create an account in the grant portal, you will use that account for all applications. If you have applied for a CAF grant in the last 2 years, you already have an account in our system. You can use the same login for all applications. If you do not remember your login information, you can click on the Forgot your Password link to reset.
I CANNOT REMEMBER MY ZENGINE LOGIN TO ACCESS MY GRANT PORTAL. HOW DO I RESET MY PASSWORD?
Go to the Grant Portal login and click on “Forgot Your Password?” located on the login page. Please reach out to [email protected] if you have trouble logging in.
HOW DO I UPDATE MY PROFILE INFORMATION (EMAIL ADDRESS, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, ETC)?
Log into the Grant Portal. On the Home page, you always have access to Profile. Click the EDIT button to update any of your profile information.